[Swift-user] Swift error with no explanation

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 14 09:48:56 CDT 2012

Jonathan, it seems that there's some kind of error cascade here. You have an application script that repeatedly runs Swift. Several Swift runs complete successfully. Then one run encounters a Java null pointer exception in Swift, seemingly in a method related to logging progress of the run. Close to the same time, one of your app() calls is failing.  After that, all the Swift runs fail due to an app() call thats failing in a different manner.

Im moving this discussion to swift-support to avoid clogging up swift-user with lots of debugging discussion.  Please send us (on swift-support) a pointer to where we can locate your run directories.  I'd like to find the log file for RunID: 20120914-0423-eag9170a, and send that to Mihael to debug the null pointer exception.

I'd like to look closer at the subsequent runs to see whats failing. Im thinking something went wrong in your application environment thats causing the initial app failure, which in turn may have tripped into some intermittent Swift bug.

- Mike