[Swift-user] Externally controlled loop

Carolyn Phillips cphillips at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 31 12:02:21 CDT 2012

Hello,

So I want to create an externally controlled loop, meaning, the number of times the loop repeats is determined by the output of a executable called within the loop.  That output is written to a file so it can be read and checked.   I am experimenting with getting a very rudimentary set up.   Below you can see that I have two lines that determine if the iteration is done, one based on the variable "passes" and the other based on the variable "read passes" that is read from a file.  The second does not work and throws a execution failed exception.     Any advice on how to make this kind of structure work?

type file;

iterate passes {

    # try writing the iteration to a log file
    file passlog <"passes.log">;
    passlog = writeData(passes);

    # try reading from another log file
    int value = readData("errorlog");
    int readpasses = readData(passlog);

    # Write to the Output Log
    int i = 3;
    tracef("%s: %i\n", "the value is", value);
    tracef("%s: %i\n", "Iteration :", passes);
    tracef("%s: %i\n", "Iteration Read :", readpasses);

#} until (readpasses == 2);  # Determine if Done
} until (passes == 2);  # Determine if Done