[Swift-user] Swift hangup error

Jonathan Margoliash jmargolpeople at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:26:51 CDT 2012

Hello all,

I recently left a program running over night, and came back in the morning
to find that it had successfully executed a swift script 14 times, but on
the 15th time the swift script would not return. Specifically, the terminal
output after a swift script ends is normally:

-----
Final status: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:55:46 -0500  Finished successfully:210
Swift trunk swift-r5819 cog-r3424

RunID: 20120828-0705-4v6epf52

Returned from swift to evolve.m
-----

(where the last line of text is generated by my code). However, when I came
back, the last line of output was:

----
Final status: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 08:59:45 -0500  Finished successfully:210

----

and, given the time stamp on that line, it had been hanging there for an
hour. Since the two lines that usually follow the Final status line (Swift
trunk and Run ID) had not been printed, I think it is clear that swift did
not return control to my program. Why would this be the case? It is very
improbable but possible that I ran out of space on one of the computers
that swift was distributing jobs to, but I am positive that I did not run
out of space on the computer which was distributing the jobs, and in any
event I would hope that swift would crash more nicely if that were the
case. Thanks,

Jonathan