[Swift-user] badness

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 13 18:21:55 CDT 2011

Should now be fixed in trunk.

The badness was due to dependent mapper params and readData with
non-primitive params.

Boring technical details follow.

When readData would be invoked with a parameter that was mapped by, say,
an external mapper, it would initially trigger a future fault (since the
name of the file would not known at the time of the initial readData
invocation).

That would be all fine. However, when the external mapper would complete
its thing, the mapped data would get initialized. As part of that
initialization, it would trigger notifications to dependent things
(readData in this case), which would try to access the mapper, which in
turn would trigger the error since the initialization was not complete.

This was not obvious in the stable branch because the above notification
during initalization would happen in a different thread. In most cases
that different thread would not get to running its thing before the
initialization would complete, and everything would be fine. Except for
those few cases when it wouldn't. I suspect that this is the reason why
the "Badness" message was in there. So I think this may actually be a
previously unresolved bug.

The solution was to mark the data as initialized early (before
notifications would be sent to dependent things). The exact meaning of
"initialized" there being that the mapper for that piece of data is
valid.

Mihael