[Swift-user] meaning of foreach.max.threads

Ketan Maheshwari ketancmaheshwari at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:58:34 CDT 2011

Lorenzo,

foreach.max.threads is kind of a throttle parameter that will control the
number of threads spawned when a foreach loop is encountered. For example:

foreach i in [0:10000]{
do_something();
}

can potentially lead to 10,000 concurrent threads being spawned
simultaneously which can lead to a jam in the system. The
foreach.max.threads param will limit it to the number specified. I normally
set it to less than 1000 or even less if I have nested foreach loops.

Hope that will help.

Ketan

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Lorenzo Pesce <lpesce at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> foreach.max.threads.  When I read the explanation I left somewhat
> perplexed.
>
> Do you mean threads in the sense of shared memory parallel processes here
> (then 1024 is very large number to me) or something else?
> Do you really mean saving memory, or I am not understand it?
>
> Thanks!

Ketan