[Swift-user] meaning of foreach.max.threads

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 1 13:57:37 CDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 13:52 -0500, Lorenzo Pesce wrote:
> foreach.max.threads.  When I read the explanation I left somewhat
> perplexed.
>

> Do you mean threads in the sense of shared memory parallel processes
> here (then 1024 is very large number to me) or something else?

They are the lightweight threads that the swift system uses. We had some
instances of users trying to run a few million of them in parallel and
that would eat up most memory. Since there was no way that 5 million
CPUs could be in use at one time, we put in that limit in place. Made
things a bit better.