[Swift-user] coaster reply timeout heartbeats

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 21 19:18:41 CDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 19:13 -0500, Allan Espinosa wrote:
> 2010/10/21 Mihael Hategan <hategan at mcs.anl.gov>:
> > Heartbeats are a way to establish (within a certain interval of time)
> > that the connection is still alive.
>
> So at some point, the client's connection with the coaster service got cut here?

It only really establishes the state of the connection to the extent
that the logic surrounding this mechanism is ok. It would seem, from
your email, that the connection is fine. Which implies that some of the
logic is bad.

> > Only one side needs to send heartbeats, and they should be replied to
> > without question.
> >
> > A client detects a bad connection when no reply is received to a
> > heartbeat. The "passive" side detects a bad connection when no heartbeat
> > has been received in 2*the interval.
>
> By "passive" side you mean the coaster service?

I believe "active" is whoever initiates the connection. So for automatic
service startup, active will be the service. For a persistent service,
active would be the client.

Mihael