[Swift-user] understanding coaster service logs

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 19 12:50:19 CDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 12:40 -0500, Allan Espinosa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My coaster services are registering 1.2k CPUs at a time.  Yet my jobs
> does not seem to get sent to some workers:
>
> Progress:  Selecting site:2762  Submitted:580  Finished
> successfully:424 Failed but can retry:138
> Progress:  Selecting site:2762  Submitted:580  Finished
> successfully:424 Failed but can retry:138
>
> It maybe the case that my workers only has outbound connections and no inbound?

No. A single connection is used for two-way communication.

> Which coaster-service log entries should I look out for to know if (1)
> a job is received and (2) a job is dispatched to a worker (3) blockID
> the job was sent to?

Cpu.java has the following line:
logger.info(block.getId() + ":" + getId() + " submitting " +
task.getIdentity());

This tells you when a job is sent to a worker.

If you want to know if a job is received by a worker, you need to enable
worker logging.

> Does <Block-ID>: pull refer to a worker receiving a job?

No. It refers to a block selecting a job for submission to a worker.

Mihael