[Swift-user] Coasters - idle time exceeded

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 10 21:06:51 CST 2010

There is a way to increase that limit. That parameter also seems to be a
command line argument, though I don't see it used in that way.

In any event, look for "my $IDLETIMEOUT" in
provider-coaster/resources/worker.pl and change the default there (4 *
60) to whatever you want (I suggest "very large number"). Then
re-compile and re-run.

The idle time was used in a previous version of the coasters (when there
was no block allocation) as a mechanism to clean up unused workers. This
is now done by the coaster service itself.

The problem with letting the workers do this is that they have no
knowledge that they are part of a block. In said previous version, a
worker dying would be seen immediately by the service through the fact
that the worker job ended. This is not the case with the current block
scheme in which workers are part of multi-node jobs.

The advantage of letting the workers do this is that it is simple
algorithmically.

So given the above, I'd be in favor of getting rid of this idle timeout.

The only concern remaining is preventing workers from running when the
coaster service has died. However, the heartbeat mechanism should take
care of that.

Opinions?

Mihael