[Swift-user] Re: [Swift-devel] Problem with iterate

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 19 11:41:37 CST 2010

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 10:59 -0600, Ioan Raicu wrote:
>
>> But lets bring this back to a more real example. A user wanting to
>> express some computations that have some dependencies, would write out
>> their computations in some order, expecting their order to be
>> preserved because of the dependencies. If you only support single
>> assignment on variables (e.g. the data), then an example like the one
>> below could never deadlock because the single assignment would be
>> violated on the 2nd statement. Perhaps things are more complicated if
>> you support multiple assignments per variables, but that is not the
>> case for Swift, right?
>>

> x = y + 1
> y = x + 1
>
> How many assignments are there? 2
> How many variables are being assigned? 2
> Do those assignments have the same lvalue (thing on the left)? no
> ---
> Conclusion: each variable is assigned exactly once.

However, y and x have to be defined somewhere, right? If they don't get
their value assigned at definition time, then the statement x = y + 1
should return with an error that y is not defined.

>> I am trying to understand if this deadlock is happening in Swift due
>> to some particular implementation detail in Swift (or underlying
>> pieces), or is it a fundamental flaw in the DAG based approach with
>> single assignment variables? Or is it due to something completely
>> different?
>>

> It seems to be a fundamental flaw with computers and algorithms.

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
NSF/CRA Computing Innovation Fellow
Center for Ultra-scale Computing and Information Security (CUCIS)
Northwestern University
2145 Sheridan Rd, Tech M384
Evanston, IL 60208-3118
Cel:   1-847-722-0876