[Swift-user] Re: [Swift-devel] Problem with iterate

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 19 10:48:56 CST 2010

But assuming there are dependencies, why wouldn't the order in source
code also imply order in execution order?

Mathematically, the two different sequences evaluate to different values:

x = y + 1
y = x + 1

assuming y = 0, x = 1

you get:
x = 0 + 1 = 1
y = 1 + 1 = 2

final values for x = 1, y = 2

Now if the order was reversed:
y = x + 1
x = y + 1

assuming the same initial values y = 0, x = 1
y = 1 + 1 = 2
x = 2 + 1 = 3

Notice that the final value for x is different, depending on the order
of the execution.

So, since the order matters (because there are dependencies between the
2 statements, as if there were no dependencies the order would be
irrelevant), then it makes sense that the execution order also follow
the source code order, as the programmer likely wrote the code thinking
that this order would be preserved.

So, I ask again, why would the execution order not follow the source
code order, assuming there was some dependency among them?

Ioan

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
NSF/CRA Computing Innovation Fellow
Center for Ultra-scale Computing and Information Security (CUCIS)
Northwestern University
2145 Sheridan Rd, Tech M384
Evanston, IL 60208-3118
Cel:   1-847-722-0876