[Swift-user] running unix executables

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 2 16:59:34 CST 2010

Jamal,

The User Guide and the tutorial on the Swift web have examples of calling executables, eg /bin/echo, /usr/bin/convert, etc.

Thats pretty basic - are you reading these materials?

For creating directories, etc: you can do this via either a shell script or command you call via an app() function; perhaps by calling /bin/mkdir directly, with site being "localhost". You can also call such a function from an "ext" mapper if you think through the logic carefully.

You should read and familiarize yourself with the User Guide material on how Swift jobs run (eg, the "jobdir" sandbox concept), as you'll need to know the difference between a likely-transient dir created below the jobdir vs. a persistent dir created on the local host running the Swift command vs. a persistent dir at a site (which is not likely what you want).

- Mike