[Swift-user] Deleting no longer necessary anonymous files in _concurrent

Justin M Wozniak wozniak at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 30 16:54:29 CDT 2010

Hi Matthew
 	Deleting files is out of the scope of the Swift language.  You can
of course remove them yourself in your scripts, and as long as Swift does
not try to stage them out you should be fine.
 	You may want to look at external variables as another way to
approach this (manual 2.5).  Using external variables you can manage the
files in your scripts while maintaining the Swift progress model.
 	Justin

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Matthew Woitaszek wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I'm working with a script that creates arrays of intermediate files
> using the anonymous concurrent mapper, such as:
>
>  file wgt_file[];
>
> As I expect, all of these files get generated in the remote swift
> temporary directory and are then returned to the _concurrent directory
> on the host executing Swift. However, in this particular application,
> they're then immediately consumed by a subsequent procedure and never
> needed again.
>
> Is there a way to configure Swift or the file mapper declaration to
> delete these files after the remaining script "consumes" them? (That
> is, after all procedures relying on them as inputs have been
> executed?) Or can (should?) that be done manually?
>
> More speculatively, is there a way to keep files like these on the
> execution host and not even bring them back to _concurrent? (With loss
> of generality, I'm executing on a single site, and don't really ever
> need the file locally, for restarts or staging to another site.)
>
> Any advice about managing copies of large intermediate data files in
> the Swift execution context would be appreciated!
>
> Matthew

Justin M Wozniak