[Swift-user] throttling mapping threads

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 14 00:45:42 CDT 2010

So I looked at the problem in a bit more detail.

The part that starts the external process is run from the karajan worker
threads which are limited in number (somewhere between 1 and 8)*. So
that's the maximum number of concurrent invocations of an external
mapper. Do you actually see all 400 of them run at once?

Mihael

(*) Funny thing that for cooperative multi-tasking such non-cooperating
tasks as the example above were the thing that prompted the development
of preemptive multi-tasking. And yet here's an example where, due to
lazy coding, it turns out to be helpful.