[Swift-user] using swift on a cluster

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 20 22:49:45 CDT 2009

Hi Erin,

I'm assuming you meant "use Swift to run jobs on the compute nodes of
the cluster"?

If so, you first need to find out what scheduler (also called "batch
system" or "local resource manager") the cluster is running.

Thats typical one of these: PBS, Condor, or SGE.

Either ask your system administrator, or see if the "man" command or
similar probes give you a clue:

Condor: condor_q -version

condor_q -version
$CondorVersion: 7.2.4 Jun 16 2009 BuildID: 159529 $
$CondorPlatform: I386-LINUX_RHEL5 $

PBS: man qstat:

   qstat(1B)  PBS

SGE: man qstat:

   QSTAT(1)   Sun Grid Engine User Commands

If its PBS or Condor, then the Swift user guide gives the sites.xml
entries to use.

Tell us what you find, then try following the instructions in the user
guide, and follow up with questions as needed.

- Mike