[Swift-user] Re: [Swft] joining up with swift users

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 3 10:09:32 CDT 2009

Erin,

I think its best to start with one or two systems and master them first.

When you are ready to try OSG, its best to do this via the "engage" VO,
as that VO has a good support team and also tests the sites in the VO
for correct operation for the VO members.

OSG has no "login" hosts: you need to do everything via globus-job-run
and globus-url-copy.

UberFTP is a convenient way to "login" to OSG sites to peruse files and
manage files and directories (basically any subcommand of FTP is
available: ls, pwd, mkdir, rm, etc)

When you get to the point of wanting to put R at several OSG sites, you
can do one manually using "pacman" and then used "ADEM" to automatically
install it on many sites.  Thats experimental software, for which we
need to post a link to the latest docs. Done by Zhengxiong Hou, a CS
grad student from China who spent last year at CI and recently returned
home.  He's still eager to see people use, test, and improve ADEM.

Ben may have further (or better) pointers.

- Mike