[Swift-user] Expanding arrays in app function command lines

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Jan 28 01:55:39 CST 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> In a sense I do like the a[*] syntax because it makes it very clear that
> there is a variable number of things being passed.

Should you be compelled to put it after @filenames? (eg
@filenames(whatever)[*]) to indicate that you are passing multiple things?

It also looks icky from a type system perspective - what is the type of
a[*] and how is that distinct from a? Its a (undocumented and unchecked)
mysterious ordered sequence type that you can only use specifically in app
parameters and a few other places, that there is not much to handle and
that you should pretend doesn't exist...