[Swift-user] using swift in an IP-impoverished environment

Andriy Fedorov fedorov at cs.wm.edu
Fri Feb 20 12:54:32 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Ben Clifford <benc at hawaga.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Andriy Fedorov wrote:
>
>> avoiding the firewall. Seems like a security breach... Unless NAT has to
>> be configured on the firewall host, which is not an option for me.
>
> Mihael's comment:
>
>  | It involves forwarding a range of ports (a hundred of them or more)
>
> I think pretty much needs to be configured on the NAT/firewall machine
> (which I suspect in his case is the linksys router sitting in the corner
> of his living room, and to which he has admin privs).

That's what I thought -- not an option for me.

I found a report about using ssh tunneling to solve this
http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2002/HPL-2002-278.pdf

but I didn't have time/need to really study this. The report is about
GT2. But I am skeptical this solves the problem. I've seen firewall
difficulties cited as one of the major problems related to using Grids
in practice. If it was easy to solve, it would be solved by now, with
the general solution google-able...