[Swift-user] mapper for internet resources

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 8 10:16:19 CST 2009

On 2/8/09 6:38 AM, Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:
>
>> As far as I understand, the gsiftp provider can support: http, https, ftp, and
>> gsiftp URIs, with the gridftp data provider, <gridftp> in sites.xml.
>
> In addition to the clarification that mihael gave, the above commentary is
> incorrect - the <gridftp> (or <filesystem>) entry in sites.xml specifies
> the mechanism used to access the site-side filesystem, not the mechanism
> used to access submit-side data.

This would be good to clarify in the users guide in sec 3, Mappers,
where we should say what kinds of URIs a mapper can specify to denote
the "submit-side data"; sec 5.2, "notes on how swift implements file
input and output"; and sec 13.2 when we describe how the site work
directory is specified and accessed.

In 5.2 we say "The Swift client side selects a site; copies the input
files for that procedure call to the site shared file cache if they are
not already in the cache, using the file transfer mechanism; and then
invokes the wrapper script on that site using the execution mechanism. "

We should clarify that mappings specify the source and destinations of
input and output files, and that a variety of forms of URIs and
pathnames can be specified in the mapping declaration.

We should state how and when output data is copied back to its mapped
location.