[Swift-user] Expanding arrays in app function command lines

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Feb 5 03:27:17 CST 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:

> Is the expansion of structs into the command line not yet implemented, in the
> latest patch for expanding arrays?
> (vdlarg-1.patch) which I have applied.

Its not implemented. I thought I'd made it throw a type checking error in
that case, but apparently not.

Lines like this are the output of naively trying to turn an arbitrary
dataset into a string:

> org.griphyn.vdl.mapping.RootDataNode identifier
> tag:benc at ci.uchicago.edu,2008:swift:dataset:20090204-1653-ez43h08a:720000000003
> type struct with no value at dataset=s (closed)

> I get the same behavior if I also pass s.a and s.b to echo, to make sure the
> fields are set before echo is called:

It should (although I'm not entirely sure if it actually does) not invoke
the procedure until all of s is set, if you pass in s.