[Swift-user] Problems getting started with coasters

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 27 15:42:33 CDT 2009

Andriy, can you post your sites.xml file?

I *suspect* that you may (inadvertently) be using the Coaster data
provider, using an XML tag like this in the <pool> element for the local
site:
   <filesystem provider="coaster" url="gt2://grid.myhost.org" />

If you are, remove that (for now). There is suspected problems with
coaster data transfer for large(er) files. Its worked well for large
sets of very small ones. (We need to get such alerts posted somewhere
clearly, sorry).

Use (only) this tag for the data provider for the local-PBS "sanity" test:

  <gridftp  url="local://localhost" />

If you do *not* have a coaster filesystem tag in your <pool> element,
then I need to dig deeper, and may need some logs from you and/or access
to your directories on Abe.

Also note:

o you can and should use the gridftp/local tag above even when using
coasters as your execution provider, when you are running on a site that
has access to your local directories (eg when the worker nodes of your
target site can directly access the file names that your Swift script is
mapping).

o Mihael posted the promised fixes to Coasters last night, and once we
get past this sanity test, you should try those. You may be trying these
ahead of me, so my apologies if you find some problems for us first.

- Mike