[Swift-user] XDTM

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 14 12:09:43 CDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 11:55 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:

> On 8/14/09 11:30 AM, Mihael Hategan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 10:38 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
> > [...]
> >> No, the XML - if indeed it still exists - is only internal. I described
> >> it this way in an earlier post:
> >
> > The Swift type declarations are "compiled" into XML schema since XML
> > schema is sufficiently powerful to express the structure of Swift
> > user-declared types. That piece appears in the <types></types> header of
> > a .kml file. However, it has nothing to do with mapping, so it's
> > probably not to be called XDTM.
>
> Mihael, thanks for clarifying.
>
> In the XDTM paper we described the use of XML schema this way:
>
> "In XDTM, a dataset’s logical structure is specified
> via a subset of XML Schema, which defines primitive
> scalar data types such as Boolean, Integer, String, Float,
> and Date, and also allows for the definition of complex
> types via the composition of simple and complex types."
>
> In other words, what you say above: that XML Schema is used to define
> Swift user-declared types.

Right. It's arguable whether that has much to do with XDTM. Using XML
schema to describe types/structure is the natural thing to do if you're
using XML and you need to describe types/structure.

I other words I think XDTM is confusing and the ambiguity above should
not prevent us from saying that it isn't used in Swift.