[Swift-user] Swift restarts with iterate?

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Apr 15 14:02:15 CDT 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:

> Is the restart feature designed to correctly handle restarts of scripts with
> active, possibly nested, iterate statements?

There was no intention that such would not work.

> The use case of interest here is to run a single copy of swift continuously,
> or for extended periods, doing a task graph of work, sleeping, and repeating
> indefinitely.

I've considered that as a way of handling something like streaming
datasets.

Doing that should work in as much as it should accomodate new data
appearing.

However I'm unsure of the memory usage scalability compared to a run where
you had all the data in place at the start of a single run - Swift will
still make karajan threads to attempt (and then optimise away) already
done executions, and will still have an in-memory representation of each
data object already processed.

>From a SwiftScript language perspective, the above fits in just fine, I
think.

>From a practical perspective as it is now, you will need something that
depends on the array being closed and fails (for example, call /bin/false
with the array a an input).