[Swift-user] Re: installing swift

Marco Mambelli marco at hep.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 3 13:07:49 CDT 2009

Hi Ben,
the user owning the installation ran succesfully:
Swift 0.8 (stripped) swift-r2448 cog-r2261

RunID: 20090403-1305-k22hrieg
Progress:
Final status:  Finished successfully:1

Another user had permission problems:
swift.log exists, it was created by the first user but it is writable
also by this one (I tryed to append something to it).
Which permission is looking for? does it need to be the owner? Group write
is not sufficient?
Should every user have its own swift installation?

Below the java trace.
Thanks,
Marco

[train02 at grid07 swift]$ swift first.swift
log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: swift.log (Permission denied)
         at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
         at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:177)
         at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)
         at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:272)
         at
org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:151)
         at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:247)
         at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:123)
         at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:87)
         at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurator.java:645)
         at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:603)
         at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:500)
         at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:406)
         at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:432)
         at
org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure(OptionConverter.java:460)
         at org.apache.log4j.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:113)
         at org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger(Logger.java:94)
         at org.globus.cog.karajan.Loader.<clinit>(Loader.java:43)
Could not start execution.
         first.xml (Permission denied)