[Swift-user] Swift job environment on NCSA Abe

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 23 10:45:05 CDT 2008

Andriy, in case this is of use:

To make coasters work on ABe, I also had to, as I recall, remove the
"-l" option to an ssh command generated by coaster setup, and  get it to
run my own version of /etc/profile in which I disabled the following code:

 > if [ -f /etc/dedicated ] && [ `/usr/bin/id -u` -ne 0 ]
 >   then
 >    grep "^$LOGNAME\$" /etc/dedicated-users > /dev/null
 >    if [ $? -ne 0 ] && [ -f /etc/dedicated-users ]
 >      then
 >       cat /etc/dedicated
 >       sleep 5
 >       exit
 >    else
 >       echo "`hostname` is in dedicated user mode"
 >    fi
 > fi

Otherwise, I would get the "...is in dedicated user mode" error, above.

(I'll loook for my patch for this, but cant now, and you or Ben may find
it quicker)

Two other problems I encountered, which have been fixed in SVN, were:

- hostspernode was getting sent in to the RSL, neeeded to be filtered out

- the random number generator getting called by coaster was blocking on
dev/random and needed to be switched to urandom

When I tested ab a week ago, with just the /etc/login fix above, it
seemed to work.

My sites entry was:

<config>
<pool handle="abe" >
   <execution provider="coaster" url="grid-abe.ncsa.teragrid.org"
jobManager="gt2:gt2:pbs" />
   <gridftp url="gsiftp://gridftp-abe.ncsa.teragrid.org"/>
   <workdirectory>/u/ac/wilde/swiftwork</workdirectory>
   <profile namespace="globus" key="coastersPerNode">8</profile>
</pool>
</config>

- Mike