[Swift-user] How to wait on functions that return no data?

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Mar 25 17:45:29 CDT 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Michael Wilde wrote:

> While with batching this is not strictly needed, it would be interesting to
> let the model results accumulate on the local filesystem (as in this case they
> are small) and collect them either at the end of the run, or periodically and
> perhaps asynchronously during the run.

Results do to some extent get collected asynchronously at the moment: if
you run a procedure, tehre are three (relevant) steps: stagein, run,
stageout, that can be interleaved with the same steps from other procedure
invocations.

We've even had incorrect bug reports about this, on the lines of: I see
that 100 jobs are being reported as completed by the job execution bit of
the logs, but I see only one output file. What's been happening here is
that the full permissible load for file transfer is being used for
stageins, with stageouts happening much later ('asynchronously').

By batching, do you mean 'results from multiple procedure invocations
going into a single file' ?