[Swift-user] Running first.swift remotely on NCSA

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sun Jun 22 14:14:14 CDT 2008

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Andriy Fedorov wrote:

> But it is just "echo"! Is this normal that it takes so long? When I do
> the same test with WS GRAM and Fork, it completes in less than minute.

Its a symptom of pre-ws gram + pbs + the way PBS is configured on TG UC.

pre-ws gram reports a job finished to the caller (eg Swift) at the point
that it disappears from the queue.

wsgram reports a job finished to the called (eg Swift) at the point that
it is marked completed in the queue.

PBS on TG UC is configured to keep jobs around for a long time (5 mins or
so) in completed state - that means you can run qstat and see the jobs
after they have finished, and see that they have reached completed state.
But it also means that pre-WS gram does not report completion for much
longer.

That happens on all my pre-ws gram testing of UC and is expected (by me)
behaviour.