[Swift-user] Running first.swift remotely on NCSA

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 20 15:39:42 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 16:23 -0400, Andriy Fedorov wrote:

> > I will have to figure it out...
> >

> The problem turned out to be in the setup of our firewall. For the
> time being, I cannot resolve it, so I am trying to use TeraGrid UC
> site for testing.

You could set up an SSH tunnel...

> Unfortunately, I ran into problems again.

[...]
> RunID: 20080620-1514-in8cf2yg
> Progress:
> echo_gt2_pbs started
> Progress:  Stage in:1
> Progress:  Executing:1
> Progress:  Executing:1

Well, swift thinks the job is running.

> Note, that I can see my job started and completed with "qstat" on UC
> site, but the result never gets back.

By never, do you mean more than 1 minute or less?

>  This is on
> tg-login.uc.teragrid.org, so there should be no problem with firewall.

Though there might still be a problem with GLOBUS_HOSTNAME. Is that set
properly? Can you do the telnet thingy?

> The only reason I would like to get this working for pre-WS is because
> my true goal is to be able to run MPI job, and be able to pass node
> type to PBS. The only way to specify host type for GT4 GRAM is through
> Job description extensions (see
> http://www.globus.org/toolkit/docs/4.0/execution/wsgram/WS_GRAM_Job_Desc_Extensions.html),
> and I don't know how this can be translated into tc.data. With GT2, I
> can simply use "host_count=2:compute".

I think you should be able to use host_types=compute with both pre-WS
GRAM and WS-GRAM.

Mihael