[Swift-user] Passing GRAM parameters

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 17:40:24 CDT 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Andriy Fedorov wrote:

> 1. I have a workflow, which contains an MPI-parallelized component. I
> haven't seen a reference on how explicitly parallel jobs can be
> launched in the Swift guide. Is this functionality implemented, or
> this requires extending Swift (writing a new site selector, maybe?)

I've never done anything with MPI-parallel stuff in GRAM. I think tis is
normally specified in GRAM RSL. Do you have a command for GRAM to do it?

> 2. How can I specify the walltime for a job? I see a reference to
> GLOBUS::maxwalltime in the swift.properties comments, which seems to
> be related, but no explanation. The ability to specify walltime seems
> to me a basic functionality.

You can specify GRAM RSL properties in two places: either for every job
running on a site in sites.xml, or for a particular executable in tc.data

For the sites.xml approach, this is an example of how I set the
maxwalltime to 1 minute on the teragrid TACC site:

 <config>

  <pool handle="tgtacc" >
    <gridftp  url="gsiftp://tg-login.tacc.teragrid.org" />
    <jobmanager universe="vanilla"
url="tg-login.tacc.teragrid.org:2119/jobmanag
er-lsf" major="2" />
    <workdirectory >/home/teragrid/tg458015/swifttest</workdirectory>
    <profile namespace="globus" key="queue">development</profile>
    <profile namespace="globus" key="maxwalltime">1</profile>
  </pool>

</config>

Two RSL values get defined there: &(queue=development)(maxwalltime=1)

In tc.data, you can specify per-executable by sticking it on the end of
the tc.data line for that executable. Where, by default, there is 'null',
instead write:  GLOBUS::maxwalltime=1

For example, something like this:

UCTERAPORT air::alignlinear /gpfs1/osg_data/fMRI_tools/AIR/bin/alignlinear
INSTALLED INTEL32::LINUX GLOBUS::maxwalltime=1

Hopefully you can specify what you need for the MPI stuff in this way too.