[Swift-user] How to transmit data dynamically on Grid

Zhengxiong Hou zhengxiongh at uchicago.edu
Tue Jul 22 18:33:32 CDT 2008

Hi,
   I'm using the Swift to execute application jobs on the
OSG grid sites.
   In the sites.xml file, if the jobmanager is not "fork",
e.g. url="abitibi.sbgrid.org/jobmanager-condor".
   The job is usually executed on a local computing node,
which is not the "Gateway node" of the grid site.
   But when executing the job, in the executable command,
such as a wrapper script "rundock", I want to dynamically
transmit the input data files from CI to the remote grid
site by "globus-url-copy". e.g. (
globus-url-copy gsiftp://communicado.ci.uchicago.edu$ligpath
file://$work/$ligfile)
And transmit the results data from remote grid site to CI
machine, e.g. (globus-url-copy  file://$work/result.tar.gz
gsiftp://communicado.ci.uchicago.edu/home/houzx/dock-
run/databases/results/abitibi.sbgrid.org-$ligfile-
result.tar.gz)
   The problem is that, the executing computing node is not
connected to the outside network, So the "globus-url-copy"
fails! Only using "jobmanager-fork", can it succeed, because
the job is executed on the Gateway node of the Grid site.

   The user may want to use the "jobmanager-condor" to
execute the jobs. At the same time, according to the
dynamically seleted grid sites of Swift,they also want to
transmit the input and results data dynamically and
automatically by "jobmanager-fork". Because it is
troublesome to "globus-url-copy" the input and results data
to the remote grid sites manually, if there are large
amounts of data files.

   So, the quesiton is how to implement it in Swift? Maybe
it's a common problem, but I didn't find it in the documents.

Thanks,
Zhengxiong