[Swift-user] Swift scheduler

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 1 13:46:29 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 14:31 -0400, Andriy Fedorov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some general questions about the scheduling policy Swift is using.
>
> For example, suppose I have an application, which has multiple
> mappings to different remote sites. How is the submission site going
> to be selected?

In principle a score is kept for each site. The score varies based on
the number of successful submissions to that site and (negatively) with
current load. Sites are picked using a weighted random out of the pool
of sites (the weights being the scores).

>  In case I have long queueing delays on the selected
> site, can Swift detect that, and submit job to a different site?

There's something called replication which can be enabled in
swift.properties to do that.

> Can any of the developers point me to the specific part of the source
> that is responsible for scheduling, so that I could try to figure this
> out myself?

Things start around here in principle:
http://cogkit.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cogkit/trunk/current/src/cog/modules/karajan/src/org/globus/cog/karajan/scheduler/WeightedHostScoreScheduler.java?view=log