[Swift-user] Virtual data schema / catalog?

Yong Zhao yongzh at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 14 11:41:19 CDT 2007

Allen,

There is a in-depth paper that talks about provenance issues in VDS/Swift,
you can find it here:

http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~yongzh/pub/IPAW_VDSProvenance.pdf

I also want to mention that I had implemented VDC (for the former VDS) on
top of eXist, a very good native XML database, which is far better than
Xindice. The XML based implementation could potentially support all the
queries we mentioned in the provenance paper.

For swift, the organization of the workflow is a bit different, as there
is not an explicit graph representation for a workflow, but the swift
runtime can generate a graph for a specific workflow instance (i.e. the
workflow is operating on a specific set of inputs).

As for human intervention, there is a BPEL4PEOPLE spec that talks about
integrating human interactions into workflows, but I don't know the
details.

Yong.