[Swift-user] Virtual data schema / catalog?

Allen, M. David dmallen at mitre.org
Fri Sep 14 07:16:41 CDT 2007

Hello,

I'm just trying to find my way through the background on this software,
and thought see if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I first came to swift through reading the original Chimera paper from
2002.  The ability to distribute jobs across different machines is less
interesting to me than the idea of tracking provenance for complex
creations.  Is there a way that I can get this kind of structured
provenance information out of swift, or a related tool?  Ideally, it
would be structured similarly to the virtual data schema I saw in the
2002 Chimera paper.

I have taken a look at the KML & XML files, and they seem to be more or
less fit the bill.  (KML seems to have derivations -
invocation-specific information that's more or less a direct
translation of the swiftscript, and the XML file seems to have generic
procedure metadata, the transformations)  Are there any tools available
that can manipulate this information for other purposes (or insert it
into a relational database with a proper schema?)

If I'm overlooking some documentation, please provide a pointer. I'm
more than happy to RTFM.  :)

Thanks
--
M. David Allen