[Swift-user] Job bundles

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 6 12:26:02 CST 2007

Right, its not that PBS doesn't support it, its more of a policy thing.
On the TeraGrid, my experience has been that when PBS (or whatever LRM
is being used) allocates CPUs, it always allocates at the machine level,
not at the CPU level.  That means, if you have an 8 processor machine,
and you get 1 processor on that machine, then you get (and are charged
for) the whole machine as you have exclusive rights to this machine for
the duration of your reservation.  I have seen this behave differently
in other environments, such as TeraPort, where PBS was allocating at the
processor level, and not the machine level.  This is why I said that I
think Swift would need to somehow handle this at the worker node
scripts, and not rely necessarily on the LRM doing this.

Ioan

Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Ioan Raicu wrote:
>

>> 2) the LRM allows the partitioning of the SMP machine into smaller pieces; for
>> example, with 8 processor node, if it lets you submit 8 jobs that only need 1
>> processor, and it will launch 8 different jobs on the same node, then you are
>> fine... the parallelism will be done automatically by the LRM, as long as you
>> ask for only 1 process at a time; on the TG at least, I don't think this is
>> how things work, and when you get a node, regardless of how many processors it
>> has, you get full access to all processors, not just the ones you asked for.
>>

> PBS allows the specification of multiple processes per node, like this
> (grabbed from google)
>

>> qsub -l walltime=15:00,nodes=1:ppn=1 script.pbs
>>

> It looks like abe runs PBS.
>
> So I think you could specify a globus profile key in the sites.xml,
> perhaps something like this:
>
>  <profile namespace="globus" key="ppn">8</profile>
>
> I haven't tried this myself, but I'd be interested to hear your results.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department