[Swift-user] New Java exception when moving from rc3

Chad Glendenin chad at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 2 15:26:25 CST 2007

I'm still trying to run a workflow that worked with VDL rc3. With
Swift snapshot 070301, the command-line argument works again, but now
I get a Java exception:

$ swift minmax.kml -list=filelist.txt
Swift V 0.0405
RunID: flkjse5yhp1c0
Execution failed:
         java.lang.NumberFormatException: null

Here's the code I'm trying to run.

//////
type file_t {};
type filelist_t {
     file_t file;
}

(file_t output, file_t error) minmax (file_t input) {
     app {
         wrapper @input stdout=@output stderr=@error;
     }
}

//filelist_t dataset[] <csv_mapper; file="filelist.txt">;
filelist_t dataset[] <csv_mapper; file=@arg("list")>;
foreach f in dataset {
     file_t out <regexp_mapper; source=@f.file, match="([^/]+).tar",
transform="\1.out">;
     file_t err <regexp_mapper; source=@f.file, match="([^/]+).tar",
transform="\1.err">;
     (out, err) = minmax(f.file);
}
//////

Here's my input file, 'filelist.txt':

file
/scratch20/chad/src/workflow/driventurb_3d_direct_plt_cnt_000340.tar
/scratch20/chad/src/workflow/driventurb_3d_direct_plt_cnt_000341.tar

Any idea what's causing the exception?

By the way, the only reason I'm trying to upgrade is so that I can
get disk-space management to work ("<profile namespace="SWIFT"
key="storagesize">40000000000</profile>" in sites.xml). My
understanding is that if I use VDL rc3, it could overrun the
available scratch space and crash: I have 13.3 TB of data to process,
but the UC/ANL TG site only has 1.1 TB of scratch space available. So
if there's a way to enable scratch-space management in rc3, that
should be good enough for now. (I'm a Swift user, not a developer, so
I'd rather not be on the bleeding edge if I don't have to.)

Thanks,
ccg