[Swift-devel] Java Code Coverage

Tim Armstrong tim.g.armstrong at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 14:36:37 CST 2015

I spent a while on Friday chasing a subtle optimiser bug and that finally
spurred me to do something I've been meaning to do for a while: check to
see how much of the STC codebase the test suite actually exercised. The
results were actually better than expected - a little over 80% and a lot of
the remainder was trace-level logging statements that were disabled.

I thought I'd share with the list - maybe it would be of use for Swift/K
too.

Some browsable sample results are here:
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~tga/stc-test-coverage/

This is the tool I used: http://www.eclemma.org/jacoco/ . It was easier to
set up than I thought - you can enable coverage output to files by setting
JVM flags (e.g. when the swift launch script runs java), then generate a
report via an ant task.

- Tim