[Swift-devel] unfixable bugs

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Oct 19 20:20:16 CDT 2014

Hi,

There are many bugs in our bugzilla, and there are some bugs that are in
the unfortunate state of needing more information about the issue to
determine what's happening or to reproduce it, but such information has
not been provided for a while.

I have, at some point, added the WAITING_FOR_USER_INPUT state to keep
track of some of these bugs. However, that, in itself, does not
guarantee progress on the issue. I'm proposing that we decide on an
amount of time that we allow a bug to be in a waiting state before we
automatically close it as expired.

The reason why I would like to do this is because having fewer bugs in
bugzilla makes it easier to prioritize bug fixing (and not losing track
of important issues). A move like this would eliminate bugs that have a
really low chance of otherwise ever getting closed, and therefore only
contribute negatively by adding noise.

So let me know what you think about that. In the mean time, if you do
have some time, please take another look at bugs that are waiting on you
and maybe give some feedback on whether an issue is still present or
perhaps some information that would help:

https://bugzilla.mcs.anl.gov/swift/buglist.cgi?bug_status=WAITING%20FOR%
20USER%20INPUT

Mihael