[Swift-devel] Example of wrapper staging?

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 8 16:13:27 CST 2014

Hi,

Some changes were needed since the wrapper staging code wasn't updated
in a while. It should work now (rev. 6172).

Here's a simple example:
type file;

app (file c) cat(file a, file b) {
	cat filename(a) filename(b) stdout=filename(c);
}

file c <"c.txt">;
file a <"a.txt">;
file b <"http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/test/1meg.test">;

c = cat(a, b);

You would need a proper swift.conf. Here's an example of that:
site.local {
	staging: "wrapper"
	scratch: "/some/scratch/dir"
        # *see email comments for details on the following option
	# wrapperStagingLocalServer: "file://"
}

With a proper scratch dir there, this *should* work for you without any
additional tweaking.

Check _swiftwrap.wrapperstaging's stagein() and stageout() functions.
That's where you would add additional protocols.

The wrapperStagingLocalServer sets the default staging location for
things that do not have an explicit scheme. In the case above, "c.txt"
and "a.txt" are staged in and out using "file://". If you wanted the
default to be some gridftp server, you would say something like
'wrapperStageingLocalServer: "gsiftp://gridftp.server.org/"'. Of course,
_swiftwrap.wrapperstaging would need to know how to handle gsiftp URLs,
which it doesn't at the moment.

Mihael