[Swift-devel] apple swift language

Ketan Maheshwari ketan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 2 22:56:37 CDT 2014

Interesting looking features from this thread on Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/274t5s/apple_swift_programming_language_unveiled

Statically typed with type inference.
Generics.
Closures.
No exceptions.
Extension methods.
Properties (syntax similar to C#), including lazy properties with the
"@lazy" annotation.
Functions, methods and type (static) methods.
Support for observers (with "willSet" and "didSet"). Interesting to see the
observer pattern baked in a language although I'm more partial to event
buses for this kind of thing.
Enums.
Classes and structures (structures have restrictions regarding inheritance
and other things).
For and while loops (statements, not expressions).
"mutating" keyword.
Named parameters.
Deinitializers (finalizers).
Protocols (interfaces).
Optional chaining with "a?.b?.c" and forced dereference with "!."".
Convenient "assign and test": "if let person = findPerson() ...".
Type casting with "is", down casting with "as?" (combines nicely with the
"let" syntax. Ceylon does it right too).