[Swift-devel] Heap plots

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 31 21:15:03 CST 2014

The same reason why the green line is decreasing over time.

The green line is determined by the JVM on startup, but can be
controlled with -Xms

The basic algorithm for the green line is that on every garbage
collection round, if the blue line is close to the green line, the green
line is increased. If it's very small compared to the green line, the
green line is decreased.

The green line is how much the JVM mallocs for the heap. It knows very
little about the programs requirements in the beginning, so it's a
guess. If it turns out that very little of it is used, it releases some
percentage of it on each collection.

There should be some flags to control some of these aspects, but I can't
find them in the man page.

Mihael