[Swift-devel] Progress on Swift RAM usage problem?

Wilde, Michael J. wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 28 15:29:19 CST 2014

From:
David Kelly [davidkelly at uchicago.edu]
Sent:
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:47 PM
I don't have too many updates on Sheri's problem. I was able to run the older standalone example I had on Geyser and did not see any issues with excessive amounts of resident memory being used.

I think the failure was exceeding the Java heap size, not an RSS problem, right?

I think we might be better off shifting the way we approach this problem. It's difficult to run these apps, and to run them in the same way the users do. There's also a long delay getting responses. I think we'd be better off focusing on adding comprehensive memory tests to the test suite, measuring, plotting, and then documenting solutions/strategies into the user guide. It will take some time, but I think it's the best approach since everything would be under our own control, and it would provide solutions for all users.

That sounds good, while we are waiting for debugging info from users. But we should still strive to reproduce problems that users are encountering, and on giving them code updates with additional debugging hooks or possible remedies to test.

- Mike