[Swift-devel] Release strategy

David Kelly davidkelly at uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 16 13:09:55 CST 2014

This sounds good to me.

In the past, one of the things that contributed to having so many release
candidates was lack of confidence in the test suite. There was an idea that
for a swift release to be tested well, it needed to be run by real users
with real scripts on a cluster. So we would create a release candidate,
wait for feedback, find a bug that the test suite didn't catch, release a
new release candidate, wait for feedback, find another issue, and end up
with 7 release candidates over 6 months.

I think continued improvements to the test suite will help a lot in your
goal of more stable and more frequent releases.