[Swift-devel] Configuring standalone active coasters service

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 15 18:20:53 CDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-08-15 at 16:56 -0500, Tim Armstrong wrote:
> I'm looking for some information about configuring coasters services. For
> Swift/T + Coasters I want to have a standalone coaster service that can
> actively provision new workers.  Up until now I've been using passive mode
> via start-coaster-service.  I've been poking around documentation and
> examples to try to understand how I would configure the active service.
> From what I can tell, it would involve:
>
> 1. Running coaster-service to start up the service.
> 2. Configure the service with site information
>
> Part 2 is giving me trouble.  Is there a way to do this configuration
> through the coaster-service invocation, or do I have to send the config
> information over the wire from the client?  If it's the second, is there
> some way I can work out what setting can/must be provided?

It's over the wire from the client right now.
There is a bug for adding a startup configuration scheme (which would be
shared by all clients).

There coaster options were supposed to be in the swift user guide, but I
can't find them in the trunk version. Some of them are there for 0.94:
http://swift-lang.org/guides/release-0.94/userguide/userguide.html#_coasters_how_to

Some old coaster document lists them without much explanation, and they
might not be up to date:
http://wiki.cogkit.org/wiki/Coaster_Protocol#Configuration_Options

This situation needs serious fixing.

org.globus.cog.abstraction.coaster.service.job.manager.Settings may also
be helpful. It has some descriptions of the various fields.

Mihael