[Swift-devel] Swift staging method names

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 11 16:46:44 CDT 2014

Right. I don't think the names will be able to fully convey what they
do, and we'll need documentation for that, but I think we can do better
at making the names more representative of what they... represent.

So far we have the following things:
- swift does staging in swift-int using some filesystem provider
- swift tells the provider that it needs files staged:
  - from the client side
  - from the head node
  - from some directory on the compute node
 (as an aside, I'm not sure these should necessarily be schemes in the
URL, but we could instead have file://localhost/foo.txt,
file://#headnode/foo.txt, file://#computenode/foo.txt).
- a special version of _swiftwrap does the staging
- swift passes direct paths to the app as much as possible and tells the
provider that it needs some files staged for the rest
- *MAYBE* swift passes direct paths to the app as much as possible and
(does staging of|tells _swiftwrap to stage) the rest

Mihael