[Swift-devel] Attributes vs Options in coaster-c-client

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 22 14:36:26 CDT 2013

An option is something that is used to configure the entire service,
whereas an attribute is job specific.

In the case below, slots is something that applies to all the jobs after
the service is started, while maxwalltime can be different for different
jobs.

Internally, in the java code, all of these end up as attributes of the
task object, but the code extracts the ones it knows are service options
before submission of the first job and uses them to configure the
service.

Options are passed using the Settings class, so you can look in
Settings.cpp for the keys. They correspond to the info in the Java
version of Settings, and are described somewhere in the swift guide
(Section 18.4).

Mihael