[Swift-devel] Swift reference manual and syntax specification

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sun Mar 10 18:46:03 CDT 2013

> Your example is a good one, in that it (and probably several others)
> would be needed to understand the topic of array closing.  The current
> Swift/T Guide says only "Arrays are part of Swift dataflow semantics. An
> array is closed when all possible insertions to it are complete" but it
> doesnt say how to understand that clause "...when all possible
> insertions to it are complete", in particular what "all possible" means.
> More examples are needed to understand it fully. Ideally, precise rules
> and examples complement each other.

wrt this, one approach to array closing that I had before was regarding
the state of the array as constrained to move on a directed graph of
states until they reach an end state (the closed state) - that gives not
really a state machine, but perhaps something a bit like it, onto which
maybe you could say "this kind of Swift code moves an array into this
state". I never wrote that more formally, and I don't think it lines up
entirely with the way that Swift does things, but it might be interesting
to pursue.