[Swift-devel] 0.94 release note draft

David Kelly davidk at ci.uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 1 07:06:05 CST 2013

Here is the list, based mostly on what I could find in the svn logs.

- To behavior of iterate has changed from 0.93 to 0.94. If you have scripts
that use iterate, please read
http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/guides/release-0.94/userguide/userguide.html#_iterate

- Walltimes are more strictly enforced by coasters. Previous to Swift version
0.94, if an application run with coasters would exceed its specified
maxwalltime, it would be allowed to continue to execute. However, if this
would cause the worker on which the application was running to exceed its
maxwalltime, the queuing system would kill the worker. The resulting error
message was not always very clear. Since version 0.94 coaster workers enforce
the user-specified maxwalltime. If an application exceeds its maxwalltime,
the coaster worker will not allow it to continue, but terminate it and report
the error.

- Swift will now use camel case for functions, for example, @toInt instead of
@toint. The previous naming convention will still work, but you may see
deprecated warnings.

- Associative arrays have been added. More details and examples can be found at
http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/guides/release-0.94/userguide/userguide.html#_associative_arrays

- Dynamic profiles. Many settings formerly only definable in sites.xml can now
be set on a per-app basis. This can make things easier when running
multiple apps that have different requirements for settings like processors
per node and wallitme.
http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/guides/release-0.94/userguide/userguide.html#_dynamic_profiles

- Added a new ssh command line provider. Previously ssh support was done by
creating a file called ~/.ssh/auth.defaults. The ssh command line provider
is more flexible and doesn't require this step. ssh-cl allows you to use
SSH agents. You can use ssh-cl by adding something like this to your sites.xml:

<execution provider="coaster" url="my.host.uchicago.edu" jobmanager="ssh-cl:pbs"/>

- Many fixes and improvements to improve the reliability and performance of
coaster provider staging.

- Added support for the Slurm scheduler

- Added support for the LSF scheduler

- Improvements to condor provider (non-shared jobtype and more flexibility
to define what gets added to the submit script).

- Fixes for the textual user interface (TUI). Adding the -tui option to the swift
command line allows you to monitor progress in a curses based menu. A brief
example of this can be found at http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/~davidk/modis.ogv.

- Added the ability to call Java methods within swift using @java. For example:
float f = @java("java.lang.Math", "sin", 0.5);
http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/guides/release-0.94/userguide/userguide.html#_java

- Added a hang checker that provides the user with more information about
potential hangs

- @strjoin function for joining strings.
http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/guides/release-0.94/userguide/userguide.html#_strjoin

- If you have a requirement that a command get run on the worker node before
processing any work, worker.pl will now execute commands stored in the
environment variable $WORKER_INIT_CMD

- Use $SWIFT_USERHOME to determine where to swift should create some of its
required files. This defaults to $HOME, but this may cause problems in some
situations where $HOME is not accessable on worker nodes.

- Experimental "wrapper staging" feature that delegates file staging to an
external wrapper script.

- Various improvements to the way that Swift runs MPI jobs.

- Better OSG integration/support using GlideinWMS.