[Swift-devel] Why is Swift throttling at 1024 tasks?

David Kelly davidk at ci.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 24 07:25:39 CST 2013

Hello all,

I am trying to run DSSAT using 4096 cores, but I can't seem to get Swift to go beyond 1024 active tasks. Looking at the coaster log, I see all 4096 connecting. I am using persistent coasters, with both Swift and the coaster service running on the same node. I have my job throttle set to 4000. I also tried explicitly setting foreach.max.threads to 4096. I checked ulimit and have a limit of 4096 open files. Is there some other limit I am missing?

http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/~davidk/logs/RunpSIMS-20130124-0657-6fhtq0vd.log
http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/~davidk/logs/cps-2013-01-24_06-56-56.log

Thanks,
David