[Swift-devel] First tests with swift faster

Lorenzo Pesce lpesce at uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 21 08:49:00 CST 2013

On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:44 PM, Michael Wilde wrote:

>>> I want to get to the point where most users never type XML to use
>>> Swift, and the way to that is gensites, which should be coorinated
>>> with this change.
>>
>> This is an opportunity to deal with the issue. Perhaps a better
>> configuration format might be the better choice.
>
> Should we consider a simpler name/value format and eliminate XML here? A site could pretty much be defined by a single level set of name=value pairs.

I give you my 2 cents as a "heavy" user. I like XML and I like it to be there. I never write one line of it because I generate the XML files using scripts.
I plan to make these scripts available to the users on Beagle and all users if you find that it could help.
But, I still think that XML is good.

Sometimes I find names confusing (typically the *time* kinds), but again I rarely have to deal with them directly nor do my users.

> Basically make the input to gensites the actual format instead of requiring another layer?

I will have to look this one up to understand it better.