[Swift-devel] jobthrottle value does not correspond to number of parallel jobs on local provider

Ketan Maheshwari ketancmaheshwari at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 10:34:25 CDT 2012

Hi,

I am trying to run an experiment on a 32-core machine with the hope of
running 8, 16, 24 and 32 jobs in parallel. I am trying to control these
numbers of parallel jobs by setting the Karajan jobthrottle values in
sites.xml to 0.07, 0.15, and so on.

However, it seems that the values are not corresponding to what I see in
the Swift progress text.

Initially, when I set jobthrottle to 0.07, only 2 jobs started in parallel.
Then I added the line setting "Initialscore" value to 10000, which improved
the jobs to 5. After this a 10-fold increase in "initialscore" did not
improve the jobs count.

Furthermore, a new batch of 5 jobs get started only when *all* jobs from
the old batch are over as opposed to a continuous supply of jobs from "site
selection" to "stage out" state which happens in the case of coaster and
other providers.

The behavior is same in Swift 0.93.1 and latest trunk.

Thank you for any clues on how to set the expected number of parallel jobs
to these values.

Please find attached one such log of this run.
Ketan